Sunday, January 31, 2010

"The Black Spot"


I would call this story ‘The Black Spot’. I would call it this, because when I heard about the black spot, at the lottery, it made me really wonder why the black spot was so bad. Why everyone seemed surprised that Mrs. Hutchinson got it. When the ending was not given, I felt the tension building up. I was really eager to see what was going to happen to happen to her. When I was given the ‘mystery paper’ I was keen to see what was in it. I knew something had to relate to the story, because the void had to be broken sometime. To be honest I didn’t really follow the instructions, because the letter was just so tempting. What made it tempting was the words on the front. “Do not open until 5pm, and follow the instructions”. The black box, and the black/black spot, was what gave the tension When I read the ending of the story, I was surprised because, I didn’t know that it was going to the end that way. My prediction, that it had to do with the ending was right. I felt happy about that, because then it kind of didn’t put so much tension in me, because I kind of knew what it was going to be about. The author left those voids in the story because, if the author didn’t add them then the story would not have been that interesting because, then it would not have cause us to ask questions about it.

No comments: